Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Don't Forget the Tears

Have just travelled with P by Shinkansen from Kyoto to Tokyo on, as it happens, the anniversary of Japan surrendering the Second World War, which had already been marked with further controversy about Koizumi and the Yasukuni Shrine. As we went past Mt Fuji, a very brief conversation, mostly about food and the Lonely Planet Guide, in broken English took place with the lady sitting opposite. Not that I wish to knock her English - I learned most of my Japanese from the televisation of James Clavell's Shogun in 1980.

Shortly before she got off we saw her write a note and leave it on her seat. It read:

We are peaceful. It was the time with you and I to see Mt Fuji

But you and I

Don't forget the tears in the world by war

Don't forget the day

No comments: